Buttercream is a key component to having the perfect cake. It could make or break a cake. Think about it, when you take the first bite into a cake or cupcake what do you taste first? The cake or the frosting? Buttercream has a special ability to enhance the flavor of the cake without completely overpowering it. It won’t matter how good the cake is if the buttercream is absolutely disgusting. Let’s be real here, nobody wants to eat around the frosting. It’s just not gonna happen.
Vanilla Buttercream is one of the basic yet most difficult frostings to master. I know from experience. It took me a while but I found a buttercream recipe that everyone will love! Which is why I’m going to share with you my Too Good to be True Buttercream recipe. People will be thinking that you bought the cake from a bakery! (Yeah, that’s how good it is!)
Prep: 10 min
Bake: 10 min
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Cream room temperature butter with a hand mixer, the paddle attachment of a stand mixer, for 5 minutes until smooth and fluffy.
- Beat in confectioners’ sugar 1/4 cup at a time until fully incorporated. Beat in vanilla extract.
- Pour in milk a little at a time and beat for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Add food coloring, if using, and beat for thirty seconds until smooth or until desired color is reached.
- Frost cake or just eat it itself & Enjoy!